cache system

jaymc

I have been looking at my website for queries that produce the same data for everyone and rearly change

Or, data that can be displayed as static for 5 minutes, for example, members online can be a snapshot of who has been online since 5 minutes ago

With this, I am creating html files with the output, and including it where the sql would have run on my website

I then have a cronjob execute a master script which executed the sql and re populates the cache

This is working really well, however, I have wondered about this

I have a page that is the most accessed page on my website

It queries a table with 4.5 million rows in it. The table contains a username and a staff name

Each page is specific to the username, and will pull out the staff names for each username. So, its not really static

However, the table rearly has new data added to it (every hour), so its nearly always going to pull out the same data#

I am not to sure about using my html cache as that would mean having a folder called 'staffcache' with a txt file for each user, which would be well over 100,000

I dont really like the idea of having 100,000+ cache txt files in a folder for each user. It kind of takes away the whole normalisation and management mysql offers

What is the best way around this. Should I just rely on MYSQL query cache. I know flat file cache includes would be a lot better, and would like to try my best to avoid connecting to the database to pul out data that is almost always going to return the same result

Any ideas?

Its true that when ever a table is updated/new row written the entire cache relating to that table is deleted?

On my biggest table which has 4.5 million rows updates are done by the second, yet I can run a WHERE query in mili seconds. I assumed cache was the reason for this, but surely not if there practically is no cache?

Its true that when ever a table is updated/new row written the entire cache relating to that table is deleted?

On my biggest table which has 4.5 million rows updates are done by the second, yet I can run a WHERE query in mili seconds. I assumed cache was the reason for this, but surely not if there practically is no cache?

Yes, that's true... but the query speed is probably due to the indexes.

Ah ok, so mysql cache is basically useless in most heavy scale situations

I have looked into mem cache and it looks really good

Is this the best then? Should I bother looking about or is this known to be the best from a bunch of collected benchmarks

Also, any one experiences any drawbacks with using it?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.