[SOLVED] Need a certain query built

blackcell

To ensure that your post gets answered as soon as possible, please make sure you've included the following:

* your MySQL server version -- absolutely required!

* the raw MySQL statement in question [in a CODE block, and without any PHP variables]

* any errors that MySQL returns to the client [from mysql_error()]

* the table structure & column indexes of the relevant tables [via SHOW CREATE TABLE is preferred]

* the EXPLAIN output for your query, if applicable

* a clear and concise description of what you want this statement to achieve

* a description of what it's currently doing that's not to your liking

* a brief listing of the types of things you've attempted so far

If you don't provide any or all of the above, don't be surprised if your post never gets the attention it deserves. Angry

--fenway

-Version 5.0.27 

-statement: //trying to figure it out

-error return: //none yet

-Structure{

-----------------------------------------------------------------

group1  group2  group3  group4  group5  group6  group7    |

right1      *          *                    *        *                    *      |

right2      *                    *          *        *                            |

right3      *                                *                              *      |

right4      *        *                                *                            |

-----------------------------------------------------------------

}

-What I want to to happen{

I am organizing somebody's mess of group rights.  Basically the rights are to a program and it inhibits/allows users to have menu items such as print or print preview in the File drop-down menu of your browser. If field has an "x" in the database{ my browser program displays a green "x" indicating they have the right }else{ it is blank. } All of that works.  I am wanting to click the group name which is a link to another page that will un-post the passed variable(group name) and use that name to display only the group field of every option. 

In short, the possible rights to have access are the database records and the groups are the database fields.  I want to view only the field I request of every record in the database.

Don't bother attempting to grill me on database design and telling me I designed it completely backwards because the right way wasn't practical with the amount of data I am manipulating and the fashion in which I am having to work with it.  :o

}

//Your help is greatly appreciated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.