[SOLVED] Updating XAMPP

I've never used XAMPP (I prefer to install the things myself) but I'm quite sure that your htdocs and settings will remain where they are. At least so it is when uninstalling Apache. You could try to backup your setting files and htdocs directory and then attempt to update it using a newer installer. You might have to remove the old version first though.

The xampp page at : http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#1175

states:

Practice 4: The XAMPP upgrades

When individual components of the XAMPP collection are upgraded, we will bring XAMPP up to date as well. However, some developments are not compatible to our last release and so we cannot upgrade these elements. Usually we are able to update all servers and programms in XAMPP. NOT the configuration files because you could have modified them. Tip: If you have the installer version it is much easier to use the installer upgrade. All others should take the (7-)ZIP archive. Extract that package in the XAMPP folder directly and overwrite the older files.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.