Does this exist: A way to add bookmarks to long PHP script for easy reference?

stompeers

Hello,

I was wondering if something like this exists: I'd like to be able to add a short tag to the beginning of a line (something like '###'), and in Dreamweaver (my editor of choice), have it keep a generated list of these lines, and clicking on them will take you to the line. This way, it's easy to jump to certain areas in your code when you have a long file you're working with.

Something like this would be really, really helpful to me, but I can't find anything in several Google searches. Could be I just don't know what to call it?

Thanks!

Chris

I think I found a good solution: Using the regular expression feature of the Dreamweaver search, you can "replace all" to create a list of matches. Using a search for 'function (.*)\(' and replacing with 'function ($1)\(' works pretty good. I can also make my own comments that way to create a list. I then moved my search results to the right and voila! I have a nice list of bookmarks to work with.

Thanks, I just had to think through it a bit more. ;)

In notepad++, you can make it bring up a list of user made functions ordered either by sequence or alphabetically, and when you click on one, it takes you to it.  (I never actually use that feature, but I tend to remember where stuff is...)

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7183/notepadcf9.jpg

Notepad++ and Dreamweaver are entirely different though, and chances are this post doesn't help you any ;p.

I think I found a good solution: Using the regular expression feature of the Dreamweaver search, you can "replace all" to create a list of matches. Using a search for 'function (.*)\(' and replacing with 'function ($1)\(' works pretty good. I can also make my own comments that way to create a list. I then moved my search results to the right and voila! I have a nice list of bookmarks to work with.

Thanks, I just had to think through it a bit more. ;)

Is this topic solved, then?

If it is, mark it thus.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.