[SOLVED] combining queries

esport

Hi Guys,

I have a table of users which I want to display all. Easy done

SELECT userid,name FROM users

I have another table that groups the users in categories.

What I want to do, is display all the users in the users table but at the same time I want to tag the users in a specific category. For example.

SELECT userid FROM cat WHERE catid=1

How do I combine the 2 queries to display all the users in the users table but at the same time tag the users in the category table with a specific category?

I having trouble doing this.

Thanks

Daniel

I will add the tables and the results I want to display. It might help.

users

uidname

1Dan

2Simon

3Matt

4Emma

5Sarah

categories

ciduid

Now I want to produce the following results so it displays all users and tag the users with the catid 1 for example.

uidnamecatid

1Dan1

2Simonnull

3Matt1

4Emmanull

5Sarah1

Not sure how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Still doesn't produce the results Im after. I think it needs the WHERE clause so I can specify the catid. But if i add this in, it will only list the users that are in that catid. I want all users, but some how tag the users in the specified catid and null the rest of users that aren't. Thanks for your help tho

Thanks, if I add the WHERE clause it limits the results of the users. It will only display the users that are assigned to that category. I want to display all users regardless if they are in that category, but I still want to know which ones are in the category.

Maybe if i put it this way it may help., I want to list all favourites which is easily done. However I want to check each favourite to see if they are in a particular group. Now the way I would usually do this is list all the favourites then run a separate query on each favourite to see if they exist in a particular group. Now if I have a list of say 100 favourites, it will run 100 separate queries. I know it is  possible just to run the 1 query but I’m not to sure how to do it.

I have just made an example for argument sake:

favourites

fid name

1 Dan

2 Simon

3 Matt

4 Emma

5 Sarah

fav_group

gid fid

1 1

1 3

1 5

2 1

2 4

Now I want to produce the following results so it displays all users and tag the users with the gid 1 for example.

fid name gid

1 Dan 1

2 Simon null

3 Matt 1

4 Emma null

5 Sarah 1

Now say if i select gid=3, it will still list all favourites but obviously gid would be null.

Hope this helps. Thanks in advance and for your patients. Daniel

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.