[SOLVED] php and mysql query - form ok - query fails

johnm

I am trying to enter an author's name (or part) into a form then list entries from the table which match.

To reduce typing I want to allow entry of only 2 or 3 letters and to select ALL authors who start with those letters.

If I alter the mysql query to enter it via phpmyadmin, it works but not when run via php. Possibly the problem is lack of quotation marks?

If anybody can put me straight, I'd be grateful. I've copied the actual html/php from both parts, rather than edit and perhaps lose the faulty contruction in the process.

using php 5.2.4, mysql 5.0.45 and xampp version 1.6.4 (all on a local machine.

In the second part, I've commented out most of the lines and displayed the results of each entry, trying to identify the problem.

If I enter for   (trying for forester), I get the following from the second part:

You said: for

You said: SELECT author, authorno FROM authors where substring(author,1,char_length(for)) = for

Error in query: SELECT author, authorno FROM authors where substring(author,1,char_length(for)) = for

first part:

<html>
<head></head>
<body>

<form action="get_author.php" method="post">

Enter Author's name (or first part): <input type="text" name="author" size="30">
<input type="submit" value="Send">
</form>

<?php
include 'config.php';
include 'opendb.php';

// ... do something like insert or select, etc

echo '<h2><i>config and open - now going to close</i></h2>';

//

include 'closedb.php';

echo '<h2><i>finished close</i></h2>';

?>
</body>
</html>

second part:

<?php

// open connection
$conn=mysql_connect("dyall.drummond.home", "library", "library");

// pick database
mysql_select_db("library", $conn);

// retrieve form data in a variable
$input=$_POST['author'];

//print it
echo "You said: <i>$input</i><br>";

// $query = "SELECT author, authorno FROM authors where substring(author,1,char_length('for')) = $input";

$query = "SELECT author, authorno FROM authors where substring(author,1,char_length($input)) = $input";

echo "You said: <i>$query</i><br>";

// $result = mysql_query("SELECT author, authorno FROM authors where substring(author,1,char_length($input)) = $input") or die ("Error in query: $query  ");

$result = mysql_query($query, $conn) or die ("Error in query: $query  ");
echo "rows = mysql_num_rows($result)";

// if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)

// while($row = mysql_fetch_row($result))
//	{
//    echo "author :{$row["author"]} " ,
//         "author no : {$row["authorno"]} <br>";
//	}

// rtrim($input) 

mysql_close($conn);

?>

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the query as follows:

$query = "SELECT author, authorno FROM authors where substring(author,1,char_length($input$)) = $input$";

and entered 'for' as author in form. Results as follows:

You said: for

You said: SELECT author, authorno FROM authors where substring(author,1,char_length(for$)) = for$

Error in query: SELECT author, authorno FROM authors where substring(author,1,char_length(for$)) = for$

apparently same error?

I have not been able to reply earlier as my connection to the net was unavailable.

Sorry, I don't understand which quotes you mean

I typed it exactly like this:

$query = "SELECT author, authorno FROM authors where substring(author,1,char_length($input$)) = $input$";

i.e I am trying to strip the author's name in the database to the same length as the typed input. That is if I type four letters, I compare the four letters with the first four letters of each table entry to retrieve matching entries so that if I type 'for'. it would select forester, forrester and forest for example. It would then return all matches for me to select the one I wanted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.