How Do You Promote Your Website?

moon 111

My traffic comes mainly from forums, hot scripts, delicious and google. I only get about 150 visits a day, but it stays pretty constant.

I think a lot depends on what your site does. If you write ground breaking technology articles, try to make digg. If you make videos, watermark them and send them off to youtube. If you make free software, post about it on forums and put links to your site in it.

You could get some spam bots, the kind that are made to hit all phpbb / smf / vbulletin boards, and you just have to make the message and punch in the captcha. Or release a facebook app / firefox / joomla extension, or an embeddable Flash thing people can put on there sites. Make sure all your links are SE friendly, and don't have multiple different links to one page (ie: homepage.html and home/ and home/page.html)

I think the biggest thing is making people want to be at your site, and search engines. I'd give a ball to be on the the front page of google for even a moderately good term, as it stands I'm #3 for "open source flv player", but that isn't very good.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.