Returning too many fields??

swanside

Hello.

Can somebody please help me? I have made a site for a helpdesk. It has tables which are, job, labour, customer and material. I have wrote an SQL statement which is looking at the job table and gathering the labour used and the material used. It is adding anadditional cost onto the material, as well as a VAT content of 17.5% on the material and the labour. The calculation works fine if there is only 1 entry for the labour and 1 entry for the material. But, if I have 2 entries for the labour and 1 entry for the material, it looks at the labour and doubles the entries for the materials.

Here is my SQL script.

select job.Job_No,
job.Order_Date,
job.File_No,
job.Order_Site_Address,
job.Job_Description,
job.CustomerRef,
job.Invoice_Tax_Date,
customer.Customer_Name,
customer.Billing_Address,
labour.Working_Hrs * Paying_Rate,
labour.Working_Hrs * Paying_Rate * 0.175,
(material.Quantity * Unit_Price * Additional_Cost / 100 + Quantity * Unit_Price)*0.175,
material.Quantity * Unit_Price + (Quantity * Unit_Price * Additional_Cost / 100),
(labour.Working_Hrs * Paying_Rate + material.Quantity * Unit_Price + Quantity * Unit_Price * Additional_Cost / 100) * 0.175,
labour.Working_Hrs * Paying_Rate + material.Quantity * Unit_Price + (Quantity * Unit_Price * Additional_Cost / 100),
(labour.Working_Hrs * Paying_Rate + material.Quantity * Unit_Price + Quantity * Unit_Price * Additional_Cost / 100) * 0.175 + labour.Working_Hrs * Paying_Rate + material.Quantity * Unit_Price + (Quantity * Unit_Price * Additional_Cost / 100) 
from job left join labour
on (job.Job_No=labour.Job_No)
left join material
on (job.Job_No=material.Job_No)
left join customer
on (job.Customer_Name=customer.Customer_Name)

I have made it using PHPRunner. I have upped it to a demo account at http://demo.asprunner.net/Account/Login.aspx

The email is pggrimes@hotmail.com and the password is 1234

Thanks for any help

Paul.

If we send 1 engineer to a job, they might be there for an hour and use an item, but he might need a hand to fit it, so another engineer would assist resulting in engineer 'A' booking 2 hours, engineer 'B' booking 1 hour, with engineer 'A' booking materials. They might have one item or fifty items, they all get put into the database under a Job_No which is set to auto increment on the next new job.

I have nearly got my project finished now, just needs the pages to be setup according to our desires, but, I am getting this problem.

That's the nature of joins

[pre]

labour                      material                          joined result

Job    |  Cost              Job    |  MatCost                Job    |  Cost  |  MatCost

-------+---------            -------+---------                  -------+---------+---------

A      |  50                A      |  20                      A      |  50    |  20     

A      |  30                      A      |  50    |  30

[/pre]

You can reduce the labour and material costs to a single row each using subqueries to pre-calculate the job totals prior to joining with the other tables 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.