[SOLVED] moving down mysql_fetch array rows in for loop?

katie77

Hi there,

I've got an associative array that I've called and I'm trying to find a simple way of parsing through the rows.

$dataset_row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC);

for ($column_counter = 1; $column_counter <= $num_columns; $column_counter += 1)
{
echo $dataset_row['ext_url']."<br />;
}

How can I get the row values of $dataset_row?

Can I use $dataset_row[1] or something?  The trouble is I need to specify the rows between and after - eg loop between rows 3-7.

Can anyone help!

I'm assuming you want to loop through the rows of your mysql result set...you're not very clear.

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
  echo $row['ext_url'];
}

The easiest way to loop through only rows 3-7 is to only select those rows from your database.  Reformat your query to better select your data, or use a limit on the end of your select statement.

There are other methods, but using SQL to select out only the data you want is the best in my opinion.

hi there,

that' looks like it'll work - with regards to the 3-7 select - it's because I'm using the same information 10-15 times in different ways on the same page, so if there is a more efficient way of loading the table and presenting it in different ways, I'd be interested!

You can use mysql_data_seek to change the starting row.

http://www.php.net/mysql_data_seek

// I'm assuming that $result has > 10 rows
mysql_data_seek($result, 2); // the result set starts @ 0, so 2 == the third row

// print results 3 - 7
for ($x = 3; $x <= 7; $x++) {
  $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
  print_r($row);
}

mysql_data_seek($result, 0);  // move back to the first result

//print the first 3 results.
for ($x = 0; $x <= 2; $x++) {
  $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
  print_r($row);
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.