some little questions(afew)

serverman

i got afew little things to ask first i will say hi, im new to apache and php but i have about 2years of html and 1 year of java and 1 1/2 of css (but about 2 days of php and liking it) im soon to set up and start my first server with a nifty little website on it (myspace layout, html tutorals/css tuts, and some lil apps i made and a forum, and some randum php thing like a adrot and some polls, also there will be images that there sites will be pulling on and stuff like that.) ok now to the point..

first is my server setup i made overkill for running the above with apache. please note i havent bought any of this yet so dont be like it to late :P

next...

does anyone know if there is a ftp or remote admin deal for apache like on xitimi(i think thats the name)?

next...

what kind of isp do i need other than a lan highspeed

next...

last im gonna be asking about phpbb setup it seeing that i have mssqlserver2000+ but i have mysql installed so it gives me this message on the database connect it says "Could not connect to the database, see error message below.

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

" what do i do... note i know nothing about mysql or any sql at that im lost for real need help with that.. but its for a later time :P forum can wait

Is this Win32 or Linux?

If Win32 then a good FTP server is FileZilla - http://filezilla-project.org/

ISP connections generally tend to be asymmetric. That meaning that downlink speed (your dowloading of material) is about 10 times faster than the uplink speed (your uploading/sending of material such as emails etc to others).

When you host a server at home you are using the uplink speed to send pages - which is often a 1/10th of the advertised speed - to service your visitors. However a modest server can work on a 2mb broadband even with 200kbps uplink using mod_deflate compression (similar to OnSpeed). The connections are wired this way to suit the business models of the ISPs given that 99% of their customers want max download speed and are prepared to wait when sending mails (which are usually capped at about 10mb anyway).

No idea about PHPBB and MySQL - you'd be best to ask in the MySQL area. Sounds like you don't have everything installed properly as PHP should be talking directly to MySQL rather than (AFAIK) chatting to an MS ODBC driver.

I'd work through the MySQL and PHPBB install procs before you tweak about with the server too much. In the past I've found installations to be pretty straightforward once the basic server is up and running.

There are some remote admins for Apache (try Webmin) but some of these cost money. I've never found anything I really liked. Either too expensive or far too complex. PHPMyAdmin is good. http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.