Which RAID is better

peranha

I was woundering which RAID is the best for a web, app, file, etc server.  I know a little about RAID, but not enough.  If you have any suggestion, if you would let me know.  Thanks

Here are the specs for the MB

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2521&ProductName=GA-945GCMX-S2

• 3 weeks later...

Well ultimately the ideal raid solution will give you a performance gain as well as redundancy.

raid 0 gives you the performance...raid 1 gives you redundancy(mirroring)

My personal favorite is raid 10, as it gives you the redundancy as well as the speed. However, depending upon your budget, it can get expensive due to the fact that you will need a minimum of 4 drives in order for raid 10 to work. However, I think its one of the better options out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Choosing Raid type will depend on your requirements and your budget,

if you want performance  raid 0 is your option but it does not deliver fault tolerance. If one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.

so raid 1 is solution for it as it gives you redundancy(mirroring)

RAID 1 mirrors data on 2 identical drives which allows you to swap drives in case of failure of one drive.

There are few more typed of Raid such as Raid 5, Raid 10 which are more advance type of Raid format and are more costly.

More ref : webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.