Problem Importing MySQL Data Dump

Coryan

I am trying to import data that was saved as a dump through phpMyAdmin (ver. 2.9.1.1). The MySQL for the dump was (ver. 5.0 or 5.0.45).  I am trying to move the database to another server that is using MySQL client (ver. 4.1.21).  I am very new to SQL. Here is the beginning of the error message that I receive:

There seems to be an error in your SQL query. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem

ERROR: Unknown Punctuation String @ 6

STR: />

SQL:

<br />

<b>Warning</b>: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /web/myadmin/p50/73/export.php:150) in <b>/web/myadmin/p50/73/libraries/ob.lib.php</b> on line <b>61</b><br />

<br />

After several more "Warning" lines, there is:

SQL query:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /web/myadmin/p50/73/export.php:150) in /web/myadmin/p50/73/libraries/ob.lib.php on line 61

And this repeats for half a dozen errors.

Also, the database name and user has changed (because the new host automatically assigns DB names and user names).  I have tried renaming the backup file the same as the new database, but still got an error.  BTW, this is a backup of a WordPress (2.3.1) database.

I apologize if there is information I have failed to give you.  Again, I am very new to SQL and really need assistance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, this is my second time trying to get assistance on these forums, but no luck.  :-\  Never got a response on my last post and it is several days old.  BUT, I still have hope for this one.  I really need the assistance.

Anyway, I've been searching and reading like mad and found something (http://www.clearpointsystems.com/wp04/?page_id=19) about needing to change the site name and URL when moving hosting providers.  My current providers drops the "www" and my old one used "www.", so I edited the raw data to change all references to the URL to reflect the new URL/sitename.

Tried to import...and had the same problem.  I will keep trying and posting my failures until I have some success.  Even if I don't get the help I need, I might be able to help someone else by what I learn.

Wow, I'm doing a good job of helping myself...I'm fairly sure I found the problem.

In the past, WordPress created databases using the Latin1_swedish character set.  But in the new version, the user can choose the character set and the default is now UTF-8.  I was using the new version, so my dump is in UTF-8.  But the new host I am using installs the prior version of WordPress and, therefore, the database is set to Latin1...and it can not be changed.  So, the challenge is to convert my existing database to Latin1. 

Any ideas where I can find a conversion generator? (wonders if he is talking to himself)

There is a WordPress plugin conversion generator, but it assumes that the conversion will be from Latin1 (the old setting) to UTF-8 (new setting).  I have the opposite problem.

If you know of a conversion generator or a solution that will work for an SQL virgin, please let me know.

Thanks, (hoping this will help someone else in the future)

Thanks Fenway...but I think I've given up the fight.  Seems that one of the directories has a significant problem, and my lack of knowledge is a severe handicap to me being able to correct this.

Nonetheless, thanks for the response.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.