[SOLVED] Is there any way to separate lines in a textarea into seperate variables?

hatrickpatrick

Lets say, for example, I have a textarea, and into that textarea I type the following

Line1

Line2

Line3

Line4

Would there be any way to write a script to put each of those lines into a DB row?

The table is called "lines" and the only field is "the_line", apart from the auto increment line_id.

In other words, I want PHP to take each line and store it as a DB entry. Another example:

This is line 1

This is line 2

And I want my scrupt to take that information and store each line in a seperate DB row. How do I separate the lines into variables? and run htmlentities on each of them first?

The textarea name is "testing", for reference...

I know this is possible, I've done it before but its been a while and I just can;t remember the code, any help would be greatly appreciated!

did you mean like this (does it even work lol.) very bad programming theo.......?

<?php

$text="line1 line2 line3 line4 line5";

$a=explode(' ',$text);

foreach($a as $res){

$res=mysql_resl_esacpe_string($_POST['res']);

$sql="INSERT INTO somethink (line1, line2, line3, line4, line5)VALUES('$res')";
$sql_result=mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
}
?>

• 5 years later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.