[SOLVED] else statement not working

simcoweb

I'm running this query whereas IF there's no results then it should display an alternative message. However, when there's no results it just shows a blank page entirely...which means it's breaking somewhere but I can't see why it's not functioning properly. If I select in the search the two elements that I know produce results then it displays fine. It's only when there's no results that it breaks.

// query for extracting lenders from amember database
$category = strip_tags(trim($_POST['category']));
$loantype = strip_tags(trim($_POST['loan_type']));
//$loanamount = strip_tags(trim($_POST['loan_size']));

$sql = "SELECT * FROM amember_members WHERE is_lender='Yes' AND '$category' IN (category_1, category_2, category_3, category_4, category_5) AND '$loantype' IN (loan_type, loan_type2, loan_type3, loan_type4, loan_type5) ORDER BY top_3 LIMIT 10";

$results = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
$numrows = mysql_num_rows($results) or die(mysql_error());

if(empty($results )){
include 'header.php';
echo "<h3>No Results Found</h3><br>
<p class='bodytext'>No lenders matched your search criteria. Try modifying the search parameters for broader results.<br>\n";
echo "<br><input type=button value=\"Return to Search\" onClick=\"history.go(-1)\">";
include 'footer.php';
} else {

<?php

if(mysql_num_rows($numrows)< 0){
include 'header.php';
<p class='bodytext'>No lenders matched your search criteria. Try modifying the search parameters for broader results.<br>\n";
echo "<br><input type=button value=\"Return to Search\" onClick=\"history.go(-1)\">";
include 'footer.php';
} else {

$results will only end up being a resource identifier. This does not eval as empty since it has a "value".

You'll want to make use of mysql_num_rows($result) ( returns the number of rows found by that resource ID ).

if((mysql_num_rows($results) === 0 ))
{
   // empty.
}
else
{
    // not empty!
}

Hmmm... still producing a blank page. I've tried SOOO many combos and methods. Right now here's what I have:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM amember_members WHERE is_lender='Yes' AND '$category' IN (category_1, category_2, category_3, category_4, category_5) AND '$loantype' IN (loan_type, loan_type2, loan_type3, loan_type4, loan_type5) ORDER BY top_3 LIMIT 10";

if (mysql_num_rows($results) === 0){
include 'header.php';
include 'footer.php';
} else {

If you go to: http://www.lenderfish.com/search-test.php

select 'Stated' in the first drop down and anything in the next and you'll see what happens. Might help. Basically there are no results from the database for anything in the query related to Stated so it should produce the IF condition if that's the case. But it's not.

try that

if (!$results){
include 'header.php';
include 'footer.php';
} else {

Here's the whole setup:

<?php
ini_set("display_errors", 1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set("display_startup_errors", 1);

include 'db_config.php';
/**
* @author rockmetal
* @copyright 2007
*/

if (mysql_num_rows($results) === 0){
include 'header.php';
include 'footer.php';
} else {
include 'header.php';
echo "<h3>The following lenders meet your search criteria.</h3><br>\n";
// create display of results in abbreviated format
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($results)) {
	echo "

<div class='wrapper_out' onmouseover=\"this.className='wrapper'\"; onmouseout=\"this.className='wrapper_out'\";>
	<table width='500' border='0' align='center'>
	<tr ><td colspan='2' class='lendertitle'>".$row['company_name']."</td></tr>
	<tr><td colspan='2' class='lenderdesc'>Company phone: ".$row['company_phone']."</td></tr>
	<tr><td width='300' class='lenderdesc'>Company contact: ".$row['company_contact']."</td>
	<td width='200'><a class='lenderlink' href='loanrequest.php?lenderid=".$row['member_id']."'>Submit Loan Request</a></td></tr>
	<tr><td colspan='2'>";

echo pullRating($row['member_id'],true,false,true);
	echo "</td></tr>
	</table></div><br />\n";
	echo "<hr style='border-top: 1px dotted #666666' color='#666666' width='400' size='1'>";
}
include 'footer.php';
}
?>

redarrow, I did try that if(!$results) { method and got the same thing. That's what's puzzling.

Ken2k7, the tables are set up fine. If you search for something you know is there then the results display perfectly. It's only when one of the conditions isn't met. In this case, as in the example I gave, if you choose Stated then whatever in the second drop down then the query should be empty and the IF condition should be met and HTML displayed. Not doing that.

I didn't ask if the tables were set up correctly or not. I was asking to see how the data is stored. Do you have a separate column that have data for each value of the dropdown? Something like:

table:

dropdown1      |        dropdown 2

-----------------------------------

convensional    |          purchase

.                    |                .

or something else?

I'm only questioning about the category_1, category_2 etc in your query.

give this ago only a stab in the dark ok

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

include 'db_config.php';
/**
* @author rockmetal
* @copyright 2007
*/

if(mysql_num_rows($results) > 0){

while($numrows = mysql_fetch_assoc($results)){

include 'header.php';

echo "<h3>The following lenders meet your search criteria.</h3><br>\n";

echo "

<div class='wrapper_out' onmouseover=\"this.className='wrapper'\"; onmouseout=\"this.className='wrapper_out'\";>
	<tr><td colspan='2' class='lenderdesc'>Company phone: ".$row['company_phone']."</td></tr>
	<tr><td width='300' class='lenderdesc'>Company contact: ".$row['company_contact']."</td>
	<td width='200'><a class='lenderlink' href='loanrequest.php?lenderid=".$row['member_id']."'>Submit Loan Request</a></td></tr>
	<tr><td colspan='2'>";

echo "</td></tr>
	</table></div><br />\n";
	echo "<hr style='border-top: 1px dotted #666666' color='#666666' width='400' size='1'>";

include 'footer.php';
}else{

include 'header.php';
include 'footer.php';
}
}
?>

Ken2K7, basically they're set up like your example. Two separate tables containing the items as shown in those dropdowns respectively. The two drop downs are populating perfectly with the selections.

redarrow, tried it and still produces a blank page when using the 'fail' search. Also, produces a slew of errors such as:

Notice: Undefined variable: row in /home2/wwwfish/public_html/search.php on line 35

Notice: Undefined variable: row in /home2/wwwfish/public_html/search.php on line 36

Notice: Undefined variable: row in /home2/wwwfish/public_html/search.php on line 37

Notice: Undefined variable: row in /home2/wwwfish/public_html/search.php on line 38

Company phone:

Company contact: Submit Loan Request

Notice: Undefined variable: row in /home2/wwwfish/public_html/search.php on line 41

Well, perhaps I should explain. The dropdowns are populated from separate tables that are totally separate from the data for the results. The $category and $loantype variables are populated by the form that holds the two dropdowns. The data containing the content for the results is in a table called 'amember_members' as it's looking through the member's data to see what matches.

Now, the data is much more complex. There's not a single 'category' field. There's 5. (category_1, _2, etc.) and there's 5 different loan_type fields (_1, _2,_3,_4, _5). So, the idea is to match their two selections from the dropdown with the various fields in the data. When it's done it should display the results. If there aren't any that match the criteria then it should display the 'else' content. Unfortunately it's not.

try this please cheers....

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

include ('db_config.php');
/**
* @author rockmetal
* @copyright 2007
*/

while($numrows=mysql_fetch_assoc($results)){

if(mysql_num_rows($results)==1){

include ('header.php');

echo "<h3>The following lenders meet your search criteria.</h3><br>";

echo " <div class='wrapper_out' onmouseover='this.className='wrapper''; onmouseout='this.className='wrapper_out'';>
	<td width='200'><a class='lenderlink' href='loanrequest.php?lenderid=".$row['member_id'].">Submit Loan Request</a></td></tr>
	<tr><td colspan='2'>";

echo "</td></tr>
	</table></div><br>
	<hr style='border-top: 1px dotted #666666' color='#666666' width='400' size='1'>";

include('footer.php');

}else{
include ('header.php');
<p class='bodytext'>No lenders matched your search criteria. Try modifying the search parameters for broader results.<br>
<br><input type=button value='Return to Search' onClick='history.go(-1)'>";
include ('footer.php');
}
}
?>

this better work lol going mad here

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

/**
* @author rockmetal
* @copyright 2007
*/

if(mysql_num_rows($results)==1){

$row=mysql_fetch_assoc($results);

include ('header.php');

echo " <div class='wrapper_out' onmouseover='this.className='wrapper''; onmouseout='this.className='wrapper_out'';>
	<td width='200'><a class='lenderlink' href='loanrequest.php?lenderid=".$row['member_id'].">Submit Loan Request</a></td></tr>
	<tr><td colspan='2'>";

echo "</td></tr>
	</table></div><br>
	<hr style='border-top: 1px dotted #666666' color='#666666' width='400' size='1'>";

include('footer.php');

}else{
include ('header.php');
<p class='bodytext'>No lenders matched your search criteria. Try modifying the search parameters for broader results.<br>
include ('footer.php');
}

?>

I'll try it..but wouldn't the absence of the 'while' loop limit me to one result? There would most likely be up to 10 lenders that would match the criteria for each category.

Let me give this a shot. Be right back.

Ok, gave it a whirl. Now, no matter what I select, it displays the 'No results match...' content. So, what's happening with this version is no results are being pulled.

try this do we see anythink

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

/**
* @author rockmetal
* @copyright 2007
*/

while($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($results)){

include ('header.php');

<tr><td colspan='2'>";

echo "</td></tr>
	</table></div><br>

include('footer.php');

}

?>

<?php

include 'db_config.php';
/**
* @author rockmetal
* @copyright 2007
*/

if(mysql_num_rows($results) >= 1) // See the problem here? You're expecting more than one. The logic provided in the previous one only matched if there was -1- result.
{
include 'header.php';

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($results))
{
		echo "<div class='wrapper_out' onmouseover='this.className='wrapper''; onmouseout='this.className='wrapper_out'';><table width='500' border='0' align='center'><tr ><td colspan='2' class='lendertitle'>".$row['company_name']."</td></tr><tr><td colspan='2' class='lenderdesc'>Company phone: ".$row['company_phone']."</td></tr><tr><td width='300' class='lenderdesc'>Company contact: ".$row['company_contact']."</td><td width='200'><a class='lenderlink' href='loanrequest.php?lenderid=".$row['member_id'].">Submit Loan Request</a></td></tr><tr><td colspan='2'>";

echo pullRating($row['member_id'], TRUE, FALSE, TRUE);
	echo "</td></tr></table></div><br><hr style='border-top: 1px dotted #666666' color='#666666' width='400' size='1'>";
}

include 'footer.php';

}
else
{
include 'header.php';
include 'footer.php';
}

?>

I don't understand why people are continuing without a loop. He expects >1 result, so always loop.

I cleaned up the code a bit since it was a bit of a mess. You may need to adjust the output of the echo in the loop.

lol... dude, BELIEVE ME.. i'm totally appreciative of your help. :)

Now, just tried the latest version. STILL fails when one of the search criteria isn't met. I've been scratching my head on this till it bleeds.

Ok, more info:

What i'm doing is omitting the 'Stated' loan_type from a member's profile. Then, i'm searching for that loan type in the 2nd drop down along with a category in the first drop down that I know is listed in his profile. IF I select both criteria knowing full well  that they ARE in his profile then the results display fine.

SO...the way the query is written is 'AND' this 'AND' that so that it should meet both requirements in order to display in the results. IF both conditions aren't met (along with the 'is_lender' condition which specifies that their membership status as a lender) then it should display ' Sorry but there's no results '. IF both conditions are met then it should display the results.

It's so simple in concept but I can't figure out why it won't work.

IF $results DISPLAY $results.. IF NO $results DISPLAY this -> message

Ken2K7, the query works as is. What's not happening is the display of the 'else' content IF the search doesn't produce results. I don't think the single quotes would make a diff since the query is working without errors. Something is either breaking OR it's possible.... possible... that the reason the page is totally blank is because either PHP or MySQL is timing out on the query for some reason which is causing the script to die.

redarrow, i'm using your code right now. Your latest post.

Go to: http://www.lenderfish.com/search-test.php

select Purchase in the 1st box and Rate and Term Refinance in the other. You'll see that there's results for that.

Go back to the search page and in just the second box select Stated while leaving the first box the same. There's no match for that. See what happens.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.