Fulltext search, getting around minimum indexed size

Spriggan

I've got a small problem.

I'm using a fulltext boolean search for a site that's hosted, so I don't have access to the server so I can't change the settings manually, and I need a way to get around the minimum indexed size restriction that's the default for MySQL.  This is for an author's website and some of his character's names are only 3 letters long and people don't get any results when they search for those characters, so I don't need to circumvent the restriction for all cases only ones we want to.

I realize I could use a LIKE comparison, which I do use when searching page/article/blog titles, but I needed a way to rank results--plus the articles are fairly long too--so using LIKE for everything wouldn't work for what we wanted.

I'm using MySQL 4.1 (though I could upgrade to 5.0) at the moment.

Any ideas or am I out of luck?

Thanks for the reply fenway.

Well since I have a list of words that need to be looked for I can add to the query that if one of those words pops up to do something different, add a LIKE or something, I was just hoping for something less messy--and a little easier.

Making my own index does peak my curiosity though, it might not be practical for what I need but it would still be interesting to read about, do you have any links or anything that would point me in the right direction for learning more?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.