Query problem

mattofdoom

Hello everyone, I'm a relative newbie to mysql, and find myself having to form a rather complicated query that is above my current ability. I know it's possible, however I'm not sure how to find out any more infomation, so after a few hours of fustrated googleing, I thought I'd try here.

First off, my server version is 5.0.45.

I'm modifying sombody elses old code here, and they have three tables set up (which concern this problem):

Case:

id_casetitle

1x

2y

3z

This table records cases, each with an ID, a title and a pile of other fields.

Keyword:

id_keywordid_grouptitle

11tall

21short

32red

42blue

This table records keywords. Keywords have a unique ID, and another number describing which "group" the keyword is from. Also, a title.

Each case may have a number of keywords associated with it, however it will only have one keyword from each keyword group.

These assoications are managed by a thrid table:

Case_keyword:

id_caseid_keyword

As you can see, each case as two keywords asigned to it (in this example), one keyword from group one, and one keyword from group two, so case x is tall and blue, case y is short and blue, and so on.

My question is, I want to form a query where the result is something like this:

case.id_casecase.title12

1xlongblue

2yshortblue

3zshortred

Whereby, each keyword that is associated with a pitcular case is shown in the same row (perhaps organised into columns by id_group). Problem is, I have no idea how to go about doing this!

If anyone can give me any help, or just point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful!

-Matt

Hi again,

Thanks again fenway for the tip. I've looked up what you sugested, and have almost got it doing exactly what I want!

You recall that it was my desire to get a final table something like this:

case.id_casecase.title12

1xlongblue

2yshortblue

3zshortred

And using GROUP_CONCAT, I have managed to get this:

case.id_casecase.titleGROUP_CONCAT(..)

1xlong, blue

2yshort, blue

3zshort, red

Clearly heading in the right direction, however you'll notice that the result of the GROUP_CONCAT is all sitting togther in one column, seperated by commas. Is there any feasable method to seperate that column out into two?

The query I am using is:

SELECT

c.id_case,

c.title,

GROUP_CONCAT(kw.title ORDER BY kc.id_keyword SEPARATOR ', ')

FROM keyword_case AS kc

LEFT JOIN lcm_keyword AS kw ON kc.id_keyword = kw.id_keyword

LEFT JOIN lcm_case AS c ON kc.id_case = c.id_case

GROUP BY kc.id_case

ORDER BY kc.id_case

;

Any more tips welcome,

-Matt.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.