need some advice

stelthius

ok what i want to accomplish,

i have a bunch of pages i want to protect with a login system, but i dont want people to be able to access these pages without being logged in so say for instance they logged in and went to page www.mysite.com/page3.html and then logged out and went to www.mysite.com/page3.html i want it to some how say you need to login and not let them view the pages untill they do login, im not a pro im a very very new to php so any help or advice is very much appretiated.

thanks Rick

Basically upon logging in you create a $_SESSION variable (or a $_COOKIE, but if you don't want the variables to last longer than the browser is open I'd recommend using $_SESSION because they're more secure) and then each page checks to make sure those $_SESSION variables exist.

Very basic example:

Upon logging in you'd do this:

// Assuming you've already validated their login
$_SESSION['userid'] = $userid; // Where the userid is the id of the user (the id could be their username or the row id in database table for the given user)
$_SESSION['authlevel'] = $authlevel; // If you want to only show certain sections of the page based on permission level you'd use something like this

At the top of each page you'd do something like this:

// For making sure they're logged in do the following, make sure you do this before the headers have been sent (before any html code)
if(!isset($_SESSION['userid'])){
  header("Location: login.php");
}
// put html code here, they'll have to be logged in to view it

// For making sure they have needed permission levels to view the following content, this does not have to be before the headers, 
// it can be anywhere on the page where you wish to restrict permissions
if($_SESSION['authlevel'] == 2){
// show level 2 permission content
}

This is a very basic example, but the concept is there.  Let me know if you need further details.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.