[SOLVED] Help with IF Select

nealios

Hello,

I am trying calculate vat on certain records in my table. At the moment i have the query half working and can perform my calculations where the vattype is set to yes.

But if the vattype is set to 'no' i want the vat alias to appear as NULL. I was thinking something like this but im not sure how to display it. 

IF(vattype='yes',ROUND(amount * 7/47, 2),amount), IF(vattype='no',ROUND(null) AS vat

My actual query

SELECT incomeid, intransactiondate, invoiceno, amount, IF(vattype='yes',ROUND(amount * 7/47, 2),amount)  AS vat, IF(vattype='yes',ROUND(amount-(amount* 7/47), 2),amount) AS net FROM `income`, `vat` WHERE income.vatid = vat.vatid;

Many thanks

You can't round(NULL). It can be zero or NULL, you pick. But since it a number I would say zero. So, you have to change the 'amount' column after the comma to what you want...example:

IF(vattype = 'yes', ROUND(amount * 7/47, 2), 0.00) AS vat

or

IF(vattype = 'yes', ROUND(amount * 7/47, 2), NULL) AS vat

Thanks for your reply i came over that part of the problem by

IF(vattype='no',ROUND(amount-(amount), 2),amount) AS vat,

However its still not doing exactly what i want the query to do. Im trying to display all the records in the table. If vattype is set to yes it should calculate vat on top.

If the vattype is set to no it only needs to display the record but it only needs to be displayed as blank.

At the moment the two if statements work individually but not together as below. I want to combine the first two if statements into one but not sure how it could be written.

$sql = "SELECT incomeid, intransactiondate, invoiceno, amount, 
IF(vattype='yes',ROUND(amount * 7/47, 2),amount) AS vat, 
IF(vattype='no',ROUND(amount-(amount), 2),amount) AS vat, 
IF(vattype='yes',ROUND(amount-(amount* 7/47), 2),amount) AS net 

FROM `income`, `vat` WHERE income.vatid = vat.vatid";

You're making it more difficult than it needs to be. You have: amount - (amount) which is zero. So, just do what I already showed in my previous post.

If you don't want to display something when it's zero, then change your query to only retrieve vat's that's greater than (or not) zero (also can use PHP to determine to display something or not).

Im now trying to add up the total amount of each table column. But only the first line works.

Can anyone solve this problem?

SELECT Round(SUM(amount),2) as total, 
IF(vattype = 'yes', ROUND(sum(amount * 7/47, 2), 0.00) AS totalvat,
IF(vattype='yes',ROUND(sum(amount-(amount* 7/47), 2),amount) AS totalnet 

FROM `income`, `vat` WHERE income.vatid = vat.vatid AND `intransactiondate` BETWEEN '" . $date1 . "' AND '" . $date2 . "' order by $sort";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.