Math Homework

Lukela

Yup... I'm by the way off to my Calculus I exam now. And without showing our steps we are allowed to differentiate, integrate and solve real (not complex) equations using cas tools. But all other calculations will be checked, no doubt about it.

But sometimes it is faster to integrate, differentiate and solve equations by hand - after all it takes time to type in and if it's somewhat simple you can easily do is just as quick by hand :)

But sometimes it is faster to integrate, differentiate and solve equations by hand - after all it takes time to type in and if it's somewhat simple you can easily do is just as quick by hand :)

If I were the teacher, then my test would be a series of questions that are easy to differentiate by hand if you understood the concepts but would take a while to type into a calculator.  Then you the poorly prepared students are the ones still writing when time is up.

He did almost exactly that roopurt18. For a well prepared student, like my self, it was quite easy. The main problem was time... we were all done as the time ran out and some maybe missed a "sub question" or too...

Here is the test:

http://wuhtzu.dk/random/calculus_1_exam.png

I just did a quick translation from danish to english so I might be slightly off with some of the mathematical language. To make things worse our teacher is from the UK and he speak danish, but not flawlessly, so it's has probably been translated from english to danish to english :P

The test took 2 hours, from 09:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m this morning and the following text accompanied the test regarding aid:

Regarding use of computer / symbolic calculators:

It is allow to use a computer (or calculator), but no printer. The following rules of thumb apply: The computer may be used to carry out differentiation, determine integrals and solve real equations.

On the other hand answers based on more advanced functions (like solving differential equations, determine limits, calculate Taylor polynomials, solving complex equations) will not be accepted.

All written material is allowed.

So that's one of the exams after 1st academic term at the University of Southern Denmark for students studying physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology or computer science.

Btw. we use Calculus, A Complete Course by Robert A. Adams.

Heh,

Im wayyyy better in PHP than Mattthhh!!!!! Just joking, I am better in math than PHP though.

PHP is just a for fun thing for me to do, just to not worry about things in the real world and just drift away on this raft until I get flipped over and end up on my desk of homework.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.