PDO - queries using IN

Albright

Using PDO's prepare() and bindParam() functions, is it possible to execute a SQL query using IN? For example:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE id IN (0, 1, 2);

Now of course this is simple if the number of values in the parentheses is constant, but it won't always be.

In other words, I want to know the best way to do something like…

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE id IN (" . implode(',', $ids) . ")";

…but sticking to PDO conventions.

Sorry for the late reply, but I took a day off from this project and there was a bit of work I had to get through before I could check if that worked. Which, by the way, it doesn't…

I'm guessing it's because PDO is being too smart and seeing that implode(',', $ids) is returning a string, and therefore escaping the string -- so the query that's hitting the database server is "SELECT * FROM table WHERE id IN ('1,2,3')". That ain't gonna work!

Hmm. I'm going to see if I can maybe extend PDOStatement and add a bindArray() function or something. Hopefully that won't be too difficult. It would be great if this functionality were built in, though.

By the way, the execute call expects an array, so the code looked more like…

<?php
$stmnt->execute(array(implode(',', $ids)));

It looks like trying to extend PDOStatement will require extending PDO and so on and so forth… and be more trouble than it's worth. What I guess I'll do instead is something like…

<?php
$qmarks = "";
$until = count($ids) - 1;
if ($until > -1) {
for ($x = 0; $x < $until; $x++) {
  $qmarks .= "?,";
}
$qmarks .= "?";
}
$stmnt = $db->prepare("SELECT * FROM table WHERE id IN ({$qmarks})");
$stmnt->execute($ids);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.