Xampp and phpmyadmin

php_guy

Hi guys,

I've downloaded and installed xampp 1.6.3, howwever when i click on the phpmyadmin link under the tools section of the xampp home page (or if i just go to localhost/phpmyadmin -- either way same page) i get the following error

Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Why does this happen? It looks like phpmyadmin is trying to access the mysql database with incorrect authentication. Why is it doing that? I didn't change anything this is a fresh install of xampp. What do i need to do to make this work?

Thanks for any insight!

Thanks for the replies guys,

Steve: I didn't change the password, so I'm not sure how to 'change it back'....or even what I should change it too. I'm not apt with mysql, rather my only experience with it comes from installing xampp -- which as I can recall worked just fine for me a few years ago when I installed it and had to use it (this was on a different box)

Thorpe: Hmmm.... What extra kind of configuration do I need? From what i can find around the net, I need to edit the config.inc.php file, however I don't ever remember having to do this in the past. I'm not even sure what to set the name/password values too (as I recall, doesn't phpmyadmin provide a login screen??)

Again, thanks for the replies and any insight into this. It's driving me insane!  ???

• 3 months later...

On the XAMPP home page, try going to the Security page. That will generally come back and tell you if certain things like phpmyadmin are not secured and give you the ability to set an administrative user id and password.

Once set you should be prompted for a userid and password when you go the phpmyadmin home page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.