select multiple rows - gui ideas

ahs10

hello.  i have a search results page that typically displays around 200 search results to a user using a simple while loop.  the user then uses sorting features on each column heading to display the list as desired.  then typically the user will select around 20 rows to be changed.

obviously i could use a text box on each row to allow a user to be able to select that row to edit it.  is there a better, more user friendly way?  is there anything out there already that would use a shift-click method or something that would reduce the number of clicks the user has to make to select 20 consecutive rows?

i don't mind trying to recreate something, any ideas would help me here.  also does anyone know if the shift click thing is even possible with just php, or would i need to incorporate something like flash to make that possible?

It's certainly not possible with PHP. PHP is a server side language - by the time the HTML is displayed in the browser, the PHP code has been executed.

Though im no javascript expert, I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to create using javascript, using the onClick and onKeyPress events. Perhaps if you head over to the javascript forum, someone with a bit more javascript knowledge might be able to point you in the right direction.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.