styling links with a class - css trouble

kate_rose

Hi,

I am trying to create different underline styles for links.  I need a bunch of them (I have 13 so far).  From what I have read the easiest thing to do is to put the underline in the background.  I have accomplished this.  However when I define multiple classes only the last one defined seems to show up no matter what style I specify.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??  I am still on the steep part of the learning curve so I am just trying to get this to work in a practice file before I apply it to my web page.  So eventually the css will go in a different file.  I have included some of my code below.

<head>

<style type="text/css">

a {text-decoration:none; color:#000000; font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif,}

a:hover {text-decoration:none;

color:#000000;

background-position: -500px;}

.blue_link_style1 a:link, a:visited, a:active {color:#000000;text-decoration:none;

background:url(image/link_style_1.gif) no-repeat left bottom}

.blue_link_style2 a:link, a:visited, a:active {color:#000000;

text-decoration:none;

background:url(image/link_style_2.gif) no-repeat left bottom}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<a name="abaxial" id="abaxial"></a>

<p class="blue_link_style1">

<strong>ab•ax•i•al</strong> (ăb-ăk׳sē-əl) <i>adj <br />

</i>the side of an organ situated away from the <a href="#axis">axis</a> (<i>i.e.</i> the bottom surface of a leaf)<br />

(<i>syn</i> anterior, ventral, lower) </p>

</body>

</html>

So the "axis" link above is always styled by the  blue_link_style2 even though I asked it to use blue_link_style1.

I tried putting it all on the same line in case that made a difference (I know it shouldn't)

I also tried defining the style using a p class but that made no difference.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kate

This stuff

.blue_link_style1 a:link, a:visited, a:active

.blue_link_style2 a:link, a:visited, a:active

Should be like this

.blue_link_style1 a:link, .blue_link_style1 a:visited, .blue_link_style1 a:active

.blue_link_style2 a:link, .blue_link_style1 a:visited, .blue_link_style1 a:active

Your styles keep getting overridden by any equally specific declarations further down the cascade. Any "a:visited" is going to get overridden by an "a:visited" further down the cascade. You need to specify the class of the element that a:visited is contained within.

It's also not a good idea to have handfuls of different link styles - it is confusing to visitors. Just stick with one or two recognisable link styles that get repeated throughout the site.

Thanks Bronze,

I am still working on getting the code right.  :-[

So every time I make a class if I have more than one character that I want to alter (i.e. both a:link & a:visited) I have to have a separate statement for each of them or does this only happen when dealing with links?  So if I wanted to define a class that had red text that was in a certain font I could type this?

.text_class {color:#000000},

.text_class {font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif,}

OR could I do it like this?

.text_class {color:#000000;

font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif,}

I am trying to make a really informal notebook style website.  The links will look like they have been underlined with a pen or pencil so the lines under the links will be at slightly different angles, thicknesses etc. but are really all part of 1 "style".

I thought of putting the styles in an array and having them called randomly but I am not sure I am up to that yet & some underlines look funny on some words so I don't want it to be totally random.

I appreciate your help & patience.

Kate

If you just have a bunch of stuff to declare for one or more elements, classes, ids, etc then you don't need to write each property+value in a different declaration. This kind of thing will do just fine:

.myclass {width:100px; color:#000; font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif;}

But you were declaring some styles for several (pseudo)elements found within an element. What you wrote for your links was like this:

.myclass a:link,
a:visited,
a:active {color:#000; font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif;}

The commas separate different elements, class, ids, or pseudo elements (the :link stuff) and so your code reads as: "All a:links that are within an element labelled 'myclass', all a:visited, all a:active". You didn't put .myclass before each different target of the property values. After .myclass a:link you are actually targeting a:visited and a:active and not .myclass a:visited, .myclass a:active.

Therefore, every time you repeated the same mistake the lower placed a:visited and a:active declarations overrode any similar declarations occurring higher up the cascade. It wasn't that .bluelink2 was overriding .bluelink1, it was that a:visited further down the page was overriding a:visited higher up! You needed to make it more specific, it should have looked like this:

.myclass a:link,
.myclass a:visited,
.myclass a:active {color:#000; font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif;}

I hope that has cleared up any confusion. Whenever you have problems like this always look to see if it is a "specificity" issue whereby your declaration is getting overridden by a different one lower in the cascade or with higher specificity.

I see why you might want so many different links now. Good luck with it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.