Hardware, Database, Business Intelligence

john_sm

Hello all.  We are just starting up an IT Services Consulting company, we are currently 3 people, our current skills are Oracle DBA & MYSQL, and somewhat SQL Server, and we will like to learn from your experience.  First is regarding the Hardware - what hardware and OS do you currently use and what hardware and OS do you think you may use over the next year or so.  Do you have any favorite hardware vendor, and if so why.  Also, among Oracle Database, SQL Server Database, Websphere and MYSQL, are you seeing any one database doing better than the rest.  Also, we would like to get your views, if we want to also offer Business Intelligence services, are you seeing any one BI solution being a favorite over the other. Thanks for helping us

Hi, that's a pretty loaded question if you ask me and I really don't think you can get any one good

answer from anyone.....

The hardware you use is strictly based on what you need to do....of course you can always recommend

the most expensive hardware but in my experience that's not always the best idea....

Hardware depends purely on the load.

Oracle would have a recommended OS Im sure. Im then sure in turn that OS would have recommended hardware.

As for BS solutions, Im afraid I cant be of any assistance. Typically IT Services Consulting companies need to have a very broad skillset covering more than dbs.

P.S. Best of Luck with it.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.