[SOLVED] Select distinct results from form with 4 fields

bobby4

Hi,

Hopefully this is easy for someone suggest a fix. I've spent all day on it but not getting closer.

I have two tables which contains venue information. Here is the table format

-- listingDBElements --

ID field_name field_value listing_id user_id

23 county         Yorkshire       34     56

43 county         Yorkshire       26     45

45 city           London         22       1

67 venue_name    The Mill             2           22

55 venue_type Hall       34     8

55 description Nice place       34     8

59 venue_type Hotel       2     55

etc..

-- listingDB --

ID user_ID Title                           active

1 103           Eastbury Manor House   yes

2  1              Avenue House        no

etc..

I also have a search form on the site that people can select or enter information they want to search for on a venue.:

Venue name (variable = $venue_name)

City or town (variable = $city)

County (variable = $county, a drop down list)

Venue type (variable = $venue_type, a drop down list)

I'd like to return distinct listing ID references from the first table and check with the second table that the listings are marked as 'active=yes'.

I can only seem to get all venues returned related to any part of a search field entered, rather than just say venues that are a 'Hall' in 'Yorkshire'. My select statement seems to get all the 'Yorkshire' venues AND all the 'Hall' venues.

I tried using Distinct but think I am out of my depth here. Any suggestions welcomed.

MySQL client version: 4.1.20

Oh and here is the php I have so far:

if ($venue_name !=""){ // if we have a name search for it
$sql3 ="SELECT DISTINCT listingsDBElements.listing_id, listingsDBElements.user_id FROM listingsDBElements, listingsDB WHERE ";
$sql3 .= "listingsDB.active = 'yes'";
$sql3 .= " AND listingsDBElements.field_name = 'venue_name' AND listingsDBElements.field_value like '%$venue_name%' ";
}

if ($city !=""){ // if we have a name search for it
$sql3 .= " UNION ";
$sql3 ="SELECT DISTINCT listingsDBElements.listing_id, listingsDBElements.user_id FROM listingsDBElements, listingsDB WHERE ";
$sql3 .= "AND listingsDBElements.field_name = 'city' AND listingsDBElements.field_value like '%$city%'";
}

if ($county !=""){ // if we have a name search for it
$sql3 .= " UNION ";
$sql3 .= "AND listingsDBElements.field_name = 'county' AND listingsDBElements.field_value like '%$county%'";
}

if ($venue_type !=""){ // if we have a name search for it
$sql3 .= " UNION ";
$sql3 .= "AND listingsDBElements.field_name = 'venue_type' AND listingsDBElements.field_value like '%$venue_type%'";
}

$sql3 .= "order by listingsDBElements.user_id DESC";

$resultvens = mysql_query($sql3);

Many thanks,

Bob

Ah, Sorry,

The next part of the sql is this:

$resultvensRecordSet = $conn->SelectLimit($sql3, 10, $limit_str );
if ($resultvensRecordSet === false) log_error($sql3);

while (!$resultvensRecordSet->EOF)  
{
$current_ID = $resultvensRecordSet->fields[listing_id];
?>
Then output html with functions using current_ID to get images and venue details
<? 

$resultvensRecordSet->MoveNext();
} // end while

Hope that is what you needed. The search relates to the directory search on Weddingvenues dot com if thats also a help. But at the moment it collects all the listings data we have a deletes what we don't need which is slow going.

Many thanks

Bob

Hi Fenway,

Sorry I misunderstood. I think this is what you are after. This is the sql query when I search for 'Barn' venues in a county called 'Cornwall'. With the hope that it will show all the Barns in Cornwall but it shows just returns all the Barns in the whole country. Seems I am not using 'Union' properly for a start.

SELECT DISTINCT listingsDBElements.listing_id, listingsDBElements.user_id FROM listingsDBElements, listingsDB WHERE listingsDB.active = 'yes' AND listingsDBElements.field_name = 'venue_type' AND listingsDBElements.field_value like '%barn%' order by listingsDBElements.user_id DESC 

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks,

Bob

Just to be completely clear what I'm after.

When i search for venues that are Barns in Cornwall I'm asking the database to search listingsDBElements table column field_name and match against 'venue_type' and  then check to see if the field_value column matches my venues type eg. Barn. Then if we get a hit I'd like to get the listings ID and check that this listing also has a field_name that matches against 'county' and the field_value columns value for it is the county I have chosen eg. Cornwall.

Is this maybe something to do with an inner join? Not entirely sure how to use this.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Hi Fenway,

Good point. This is the bit I have a problem with. Clutching at straws really. I'm just guessing it's an Inner Join I  need to use. Can you suggest a solution or can I give you more info to help work this out in any way?

Many thanks,

Bob

Oh, all sorted.

Someone posted this on another site which works a treat. I hope it helps anyone who is in a similar stop

SELECT vn.listing_id, ld.user_ID, ld.Title
FROM listingsDB ld
LEFT JOIN listingsDBElements vn
    ON vn.listing_id = ld.ID
LEFT JOIN listingsDBElements vc
    ON vc.listing_id = ld.ID
WHERE ld.active = 'yes'
  AND ( (vn.field_name = 'venue_type' AND vn.field_value like '%$venue_type%')
     OR '$venue_type' = ''
    )
  AND ( (vc.field_name = 'county' AND vc.field_value like '%$county%')
     OR '$county' = ''
    )
order by ld.user_ID DESC

Hope this is a help for others in the same sot

bob

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.