Help .. Best way to go about this?

akrin03

First, thanks to those who help with the countdown question I posted but now just ran into another problem, well its more just the BEST way

to go about this ...

I would like to have a technology list, which what this would allow the player to 'research' technologies to improve their empire.

Each 'tech' would have a x amount of turns that would be needed to complete this task as well as, and other techs that, upon completion would open up, enable certin units, buildings, etc.

Should these 'techs' be posted in a database, then pulled with the information OR an array, each with what other 'techs' it would allow, buildings, units, etc. this tech would allow the player to have.

Thanks again for all your help!

Any tech information pertaining to individual players should be stored in a database as this information will be frequently updated as they play your game.

The actual data structure that stores the tech-design within the game could be placed in either a database or file.  Since this is information that will change infrequently you don't really need to store it in a database.  Also, a plain old file will likely offer slightly faster performance over repeated DB queries.

I have all the tech information, including the amount of turns it would take to gain this tech ... then when the player gains the tech, it would

be posted in the players file .. would this be ok to do?

I was thinking having each tech as a level, player would start level 0, the php/sql script should ONLY list for the player the techs that have level 0 along with what each tech would lead to once the player gains

the certin tech.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.