Search multiple values within one field without using like?

hannibal

I am using MySQL Server5.0.27 and want to perform a select on multiple locations from a multple selection box.

For example,

SELECT * FROM USERS WHERE Desired_Location='SW' OR Desired_Location='SE' OR Desired_Location='NW'

Now, the Desired_Location field in USERS is one column but could have multiple values, as a user may desire to live in may locations.

The way I ensivage using the system would be:

Desired_Location column for USER 1 contains 'SW','NW'.

Desired_Location column for USER 2 contains 'NW'.

Desired_Location column for USER 3 contains 'SW','NW'.

Desired_Location column for USER 4 contains 'SW','NW','NE'.

The below query would not pick up any user exept USER 2:

SELECT * FROM USERS WHERE Desired_Location='SW' OR Desired_Location='SE' OR Desired_Location='NW'.

Unless I use the next query:

SELECT * FROM USERS WHERE Desired_Location LIKE '%SW%' OR Desired_Location LIKE '%SE%' OR Desired_Location LIKE '%NW%'.

Is there another method I could use or is this my only choice?

If I have a 3 records with 'SW,'SW East','SW West, then a search for LIKE '%SW%' would return all three records, not just the one SW, as SW East and west are "LIKE" SW.

I have had a look at:

SELECT * FROM USESRS WHERE Desired_Location IN ('SW','NW')

But htat explicitly matched the field and only return if the Desired_Location field was = to SW OR NW (i.e. Did not contain more than one location).

Hope my explanation is not too complicated, I didn't mean to confuse things any further!! :)

Thanks,

Jim.

Only because unless I store the value in the location field as:

USER 1 Desired_Location='SW','NE','SW East','NE'

USER 2 Desired_Location='SW East','NE'

USER 3 Desired_Location='SW East','NE'

if I put LIKE %SW% in my select statement, SQL will return 3 records, not the 1, as SW East is LIKE SW.

I have probably over confused the matter, just seeing if there was another way of using multiple values in one column.

For eaxmple, I thought that "IN" could pick up SW out of the date: 'SW','NE','SW East','NE', but it doesn't.

Thanks for your promp reply anyway.

* I meant to say data (not date) above. [edit]

That is what I am having to do - Insert the escaped quotes.

Like I say, I just thought that there was another way around having to query multiple values within one field. Its not pretty at the best of times :)

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Jim.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.