Java Opinions

I'm currently enrolled in Programming I for this semester, and the required curriculum is Java language.  Naturally, my professor says it is the best language to program in, but mainly because it is universal.  From a few other sources I've heard that Java is not a very good language, but I've since second-guessed myself with the reason purchase of MySQL by Sun.  So, I was basically wondering if anyone has had any experience with Java and what you thought?  Should I put in the extra effort and really try to learn the language inside and out, or just do what is required to pass the course?  Surely there are other languages out there that can perform the same projects as Java, but are they any better? 

Thanks in advance.

I hate Java. At school we had Java 1.5.something and at home I had java 1.6.3 and at school it would not run any of the code properly. In my opinion it's a very poor programming language but I give it points from relative cross platform compatibility. As a programming language I prefer C#. Most of the other kids in my class did not like Java either.

BTW I know my train of thought bounces around.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.