CAPTCHA Verification System via Phone

phpinfo()

If I had a computer hooked to a modem with multiple lines available, would it be possible to create a script that would send a verification code to a phone, which the receiving party would hear the code in a computer voice and then have to enter the code to finish the form or whatever?

Basically creating a service that these sites offer:

http://www.formvalidator.net/phone_forms.html

http://www.onverify.com/

http://www.phoneconfirm.com/Index.aspx

How is this done? Would it be possible to program and run something like this yourself?

Thanks!

I once followed a tutorial (from linuxquestions I think) on how to setup an answer machine using either mgetty or vgetty. By the looks of it mgetty can call out... if you make any headway can you inform me, i'd be interested in this, also i'll mention our techie hardware guy to see what he thinks...

why do you want to do this though?  Its a major inconvenience and cost over traditional methods for less than aqueduct security bonus.

I understand how some might find it to be an inconvenience. I am just trying to figure out how these companies do it and if one could do it on their own. It anybody has any ideas, it would be great if you could share them.

Also if anybody has other ideas on how to further verify a user, short of credit card or SSN verification, it would be great if you could share that as well. But ultimately I am looking for info on the phone verification system.

I can't imagine how exact of a verification on a person you need.  If you are comming here for help it is obvious you aren't developing on a perfessional level which means you can't have to worry too deeply about user fraud.  a person's signature online is their email address and their handle that is it.  If you need something more then I think your concept is wack

I'm interested in why one would use this kind of service or approach.

What is it exactly that is helpful or meaningful of knowing that the customer on a certain phone number is the same person filling out your web form? Especially if you consider that a fraud user can be in Viet Nam and obtain a local US phone number (like using VoIP) with a stolen credit card and he/she would pass the phone verification test (and still have no real traceability back to the fraud user).

I'm all for authenticating customers and reducing fraud, however, I don't see how this will make a dent. Rather I see it causing customer confusion and irritation (and lost sales/customer/users).

php it self has no built in telephony function library (php 6 might have)  so you will need to socket to another server to adress the call or use the exec( ) to run the calls via C/C++ etc.

The question still is why would you do this.  It can be done but from a stupidity level its pointless

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.