URL Paramanters

its been a while since i have used dreamweaver i have added a table in an sql with one record in one of the colums its the url of websites. so i am trying in dreamweaver to create a link to point to a specfiic record then go to that link thats in the table

i hope this is making sense and someoene can help

Matt,

This is what I'm trying to understand in my post "Help, struggling to understand navigation based record selection".  Can you more fully explain how this is done in Dreamweaver?  Maybe answer my post since it contains the specifics of my question.  I certainly would appreciate any help.

Thorpe,

Now a new question. 

I want the same page to be used for any product selection.  That means the selection will not always be based on the same id.  For example, if I'm searching for Melons, I need the group_id = 3 (fruit), but if I'm searching for Chicken I need the category_id = 2 (meats).  As it is now, my WHERE clause  and $_GET[] both have group_id hard coded.  How can I make this work where the $_GET and WHERE are determined by what is in the URL query?

Thanks for starting me off.

I'm giving simplistic examples which are hypothetical because the actual database would have divisions, groups, segments, and categories that wouldn't make any sense to you or anyone else unless you knew the products and how they relate.

These are the tables. As you can see PRODUCTS is the main table and contains foreign keys.

PRODUCTS  NULL  DIVISIONS    GROUP          SEGMENT        CATEGORY

prod_id      n        div_id          group_id        seg_id            cat_id                               

mod_num    n        div_name      group_name    seg_name        cat_name           

div_id        n

group_id    n

seg_id        y

cat_id        y

title          y

desc          y

thick        y

width        y

height      y

project      y

image      n

Staying with the food hypothetical:

FOOD

Fresh                                  |                    Frozen

Meats                                |                    Fruits & Vegetable

|                    Fruits

Melons    Berries    Citrus

Beef    Chicken    Lamb                                                      Oranges    Grapefruit

As you can see, (I have abbreviated the concept) I have Divisions: Fresh and Frozen.  I have Groups: Meat and Fruits & Vegetables.  I have Segments: Fruits and Vegetables, and I have Categories: Melons, Berries, Citrus.

I need to be able to select by div_id: Fresh or Frozen, and cat_id: Citrus to be able to see Fresh Oranges.  I hope this helps you understand where I'm coming from.  Many thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.