Linux alone or Linux with a control panel?

JustinM01

Just a quick question here to those of you who are using linux as the os for your webserver. I basically new to linux as far as using it as an os for my webserver. Recently I've been trying to get Apache, PHP, and MySQL to the newest versions on my webserver. The problem is I'm using Plesk as a control panel, as far as I know I shouldn't try to upgrade apache because of the control panel and I have to be careful when upgrading PHP and MySQL. So, the question: Would it be better to just ditch any control panel software or what? As staying current with new release of the web software I mentioned above is important to me.

Thanks for any help,

Justin

This question really depends on your level of confidence. Most Linux distros have very simple methods of keeping your systems software up to date, youv'e just got to get to know them.

If your interested in learning a little about Linux, Id'e say go ahead, jump on in.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.