[SOLVED] what are INFORMATION SCHEMA tables

xProteuSx

I have been gone for about 3 weeks and upon coming back I have discovered that there is now a 'mystery' database on my website.  It is entitled 'information schema' and contains 17 tables.  Does anyone know what the hell this is, and what it does?  What can I do to prevent it?

I'm sorry Effigy, I can't figure out what this is.  Can you please take a minute to spell this out for my in layman's terms?  I really don't know what I am into here.  Have I been hacked?  If so, what is this hack capable of doing?  Can I get a tool to scan my site so that I can find the hole in my security?  I really cannot have this happen again.  I have worked really hard to write the code for my site.  I would be devastated if it was destroyed.

Effigy ... lol ... I'll try to take in some deep and consistent breaths.  Being that I am very new to all this, but have been hacked a few times before, I am very uncomfortable with the idea of the appearance of mysterious files and/or databases.  I do see that it is on the official MySQL site, and it doesn't sound threatening, but why does it pop up now?  Did I trigger it, or is it an automated thing?  Usually, if something on a website changes, I assume that someone made it change.  And since it wasn't me ... (or at least I don't think it was).  Thanks for you help.  I love these boards.

Perhaps you missed it before? Did MySQL go through any updates or permission changes? Also, allowing your application user to create databases is a big deal. Make sure this user has very limited permissions:

SHOW GRANTS FOR user@host;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.