[SOLVED] AJAX Oddity

aureolin

I'm submitting an AJAX request to my server (I'm running a WAMP stack). I can see the server process the request in XDebug and set the return string (an HTML <form>...</form>) correctly. Here's the kicker - when I look at the the responseText from the Ajax request in Firebug, it's not the data that was sent, it's a copy of the entire web page! At the moment I'm stumped. For one, this AJAX request is kicked off as the result of a previously successful AJAX request (a login), but that one works perfectly??

Any idea where to look?

Steve G.

I'm submitting an AJAX request to my server (I'm running a WAMP stack). I can see the server process the request in XDebug and set the return string (an HTML <form>...</form>) correctly. Here's the kicker - when I look at the the responseText from the Ajax request in Firebug, it's not the data that was sent, it's a copy of the entire web page! At the moment I'm stumped. For one, this AJAX request is kicked off as the result of a previously successful AJAX request (a login), but that one works perfectly??

Any idea where to look?

Steve G.

Are you using some template like smarty???

Found the answer, and in a surprising place. First, to recap: The problem is that an AJAX call is returning not the form I requested, but the entire web page.

Some details on the situation:

• I'm using a WAMP stack; WinXP, Apache 2.2, PHP 5.2 (i.e. latest stable builds).
  • I'm not using any templates (eg. Smarty); this is just your basic AJAX call.
  • I've tried using the Prototype and jx libraries as well as hand written XMLHttpRequest object code.
  • The problem happens in both Firefox and IE.
  • I can walk through the server code w/ XDEBUG and see the AJAX response being generated correctly.
  • I can walk through the client code and see that the XMLHttpRequest.responseText is the full web page, not the <form> ... </form> fragment that I saw being generated in XDEBUG.

After I poked around some, I did find the problem. Here's the offending bit of code...

Rq=getXMLHttpObj();
Rq.open('get', 'RequestForm.php?form=someform', true); // this line has the error
Rq.send(null);

Do you see the problem? The answer was in the Apache access.log file. When I looked there I saw that the page that Apache was processing for this request was "parentpage.php/RequestForm.php?form=someform". When I changed the "open" call as follows, everything started working properly...

Rq.open('get', '/RequestForm.php?form=someform', true); // this line is correct

Yes, that's right. Just adding a '/' to the start of the requested URL fixed the problem. At the moment, I'm calling this an Apache oddity. I'm reluctant to call this a bug - maybe it's supposed to work this way??

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else!!

Steve G.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.