Other options for Mail(); ???

Azarian

When creating a script that requires an email to be sent is there a better option than mail();?  I have made a few scripts using this recently and when sending to a gmail or yahoo email account the email shows up about 3 days later.  Is there options I can use to boost the priority of the mail or is there a better solution out there?  Maybe even away I can bounce the mail off of the mail server for the site even?  Any suggestions or info would be much appreciated!

sounds like a server issue,

Obviously!  LOL

what kind of testing have you done so far?

I really don't know what you mean by testing.  The script works perfectly except anyone with a Yahoo or Gmail email address gets the confirmation email sent by the script 3 or 4 days later.  All others receive the email right away.  If I send a test email to all the people with gmail or yahoo accounts that had issues, from my normal email account they receive the email right away.  So for some reason hung up in the system for a few days.

Try using the phpmailer class (its a free download). They have some tutorials on their site. Make sure you set the mail as SMTP. mail() is unstable unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up on this!  I did a google search seems likes its pretty cool from everything I have seen.  I really don't care to use third party sources as it kinda ruins the fun programming for me.  Although if I can't figure out a better way this looks like it will do what I want!

This has nothing to do with PHP Mail.  I send mail using PHP to GMail and it comes within minutes.  Sounds like it's an issue with your mail server

In what way?  I have no control over the mail server, I am on a hosting site!  Out of curiosity does the email I use in the From: have to be hosted from the server the website is at?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.