Submitting Regstration Form

LiLaaron

Hi,

I have been building a registion form and i am near complete! but i am having a probelm with the data adding to the database correctly.

First my code:

[code]

$sql ="SELECT (MAX(`user_id`) + 1) FROM bb_users";
            $row = mysql_query($sql,$connection) or die(mysql_error());

$user_id = $row;

$username = $_POST['username'];
            $email = $_POST['email'];
            $new_password = $_POST['new_password'];
            $website = $_POST['website'];
            $occupation = $_POST['occupation'];
            $location = $_POST['location'];
            $interests = $_POST['interests'];
            $yim = $_POST['yim'];
            $msn = $_POST['msn'];

$results = mysql_query("INSERT INTO bb_users (user_id, username, user_password, user_email, user_website, user_occ, user_from, user_interests, user_yim, user_msnm)
                VALUES ('$user_id', '".$username."', '".MD5('$new_password')."', '$email', '$website', '$occupation', '$location', '$interests', '$yim', '$msn')", $connection) or die(mysql_error());

$results1 = mysql_query("INSERT INTO bb_groups (group_name, group_description, group_single_user, group_moderator)
                VALUES ('', 'Personal User', 1, 0)", $connection) or die(mysql_error());

$sql ="SELECT MAX(group_id) AS gtotal FROM bb_user_group";
            $grow = mysql_query($sql,$connection) or die(mysql_error());

$group_id = $grow['gtotal'] + 1;

$results2 = mysql_query("INSERT INTO bb_user_group  (user_id, group_id, user_pending)
                VALUES ($user_id, $group_id, 0)", $connection) or die(mysql_error());

echo "Congrats, Registration is Complete.<BR><BR>You May Now Login!";

[/code]

This section here:

[code]
$sql ="SELECT (MAX(`user_id`) + 1) FROM bb_users";
            $row = mysql_query($sql,$connection) or die(mysql_error());

$user_id = $row;
[/code]

Its surposed to add up all the rows in the table then add 1 too it, so then this become the user_id. But what i am getting is, you add it once and when you want to add another user, i get duplicate key.

The stranges thing ever tho,

[code]
$sql ="SELECT MAX(group_id) AS gtotal FROM bb_user_group";
            $grow = mysql_query($sql,$connection) or die(mysql_error());

$group_id = $grow['gtotal'] + 1;
[/code]

This works fine! but when i try and do the same with the user_id i just get the same error, add 1, next is a duplicate key.

my registration is also for phpbb, my registration should be, you only register on the site, as the user wont have access to it, unless i give them permission, i got that working fine, but i just cant get this thing out of the way.

Another thing, when that 1 user is registered, on the forum whos online, it doesnt update with the newest member, it should do it automatically when the new user registers, yet its not a phpbb problem due to if you register there it works.

Really hope someone can help me finish this.
Thanks
Aaron

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.