date to age

Kingy

in my user database the users have there date of birth stored as DD MM YYYY

eg: (23 Mar 1986).

What i was wondering is can i turn that into their age. eg the above example would come out as 21

would i need to explode the DD MM YYYY or could i just leave it as is?

No you would not need to do this, almost all these actions can be found in the date and time functions in PHP.

<?php

$date = "23 Jan 1998";

$thisyear = date("Y");

$birthyear = date("Y", strtotime($date));

$age = $thisyear - $birthyear;

echo $age;
?>

Please note I have not done it completely for you.

<?php
$dob = '23 jan 1998';

echo calcAge ($dob);             

function calcAge ($dob)
{
    $tob = strtotime($dob);
    $age = date('Y') - date('Y', $tob);    
    return date('md') < date('md', $tob) ? $age-1 : $age;
}

?>

I recommend you store dates in a DATE type column (format yyyy-mm-dd). Your format looks pretty but is useless as a db date format.

okay yer right, i think it's the leap years.

No. Example:

Person is born at June 1st, 2000. The current year is 2008, so if you say 2008-2000 then you'll have calculated the persons age to be 8, but it has not yet been the person's 8th birthday this year, so the actual age is 7. Barand's calcAge() takes that into account.

Any method that just takes a difference between numbers (it does not matter if the numbers are in seconds or the day number of the year) will be off by one day for every leap year that has occurred since their DOB. This will mean that near the birthday, the calculation will be incorrect.

The code that Barand posted is the definition of a person's age. It even works if your birthday is on February 29th. If a DOB is stored as a DATETIME in a database, you can do the same calculation in a SELECT query (there is an example in the "pets" tutorial section in the mysql manual.)

That's why Juluan Calander functions are better than the norm, they take account for leap years in the equation.

Julian was before the gregorian calander (what we use today), but julian calander was a lot more accurate.

from way back in my C days, there used to be a julian date toolbox, that had all these nifty date functions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.