What php Editor to use ??

ibexy

This is my first post here, hopes its done in the right forum.

I have problem editting some php codes I downloaded. I am using Notepad. Each time I save, the codes get jumbled up and the program returns syntax or other types of errors. Otherwise, the codes are perfectly ok and running fine. Problem is each time I edit and save, the codes get scattered and I have to reload from the source again. This is frustrating because I need to make some changes.

Please what is the best editor I need to use to edit php codes to avoid this distortion in format. Am a newbie!

Hi,

--  your problem is rather strange - however I recomend "PHP Designer 2005".  I dont usually use editors - juust notepad.  I only really use it for finding what line line 506 is lol - and to print the colored syntax.  However its nice and easy to use - and you can also attach your php directory to it so it will generate previews for you if setup correctly.

gdlk.

You have a variety of PHP editors, for instance:

If you are a newbie - Dreamwaver (it's prefect for writing code, you have colouring the code, it gives you syntax, you have da "what you see" editor...)

- PHP Designer 2007 (very good, colouring the code, syntax....)

For a little bit more experienced - Edit+

But, my advice is. Try to use couple of them and see which one you like best. That one will be best for you. It's so individuall.

There are several other topics which deal with this topic. E.g. http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,54859.0.html and http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,119433.0.html

If you are a newbie - Dreamwaver (it's prefect for writing code, you have colouring the code, it gives you syntax, you have da "what you see" editor...)

No offense, but WYSIWYG is crap.

Hey Daniel,

I agree with you about WYSIWYG, but for a newbie is the easiest way to do some things.

Depends what kinda newbie you are. I am a newbie to php but I have worked with html for a while so I find gedit easiest or notepad if I am in windows. What would be useful is for something that will let me open my files in firefox or internet explorer is i have to as atm it just gives me a download box.

Hey Daniel,

I agree with you about WYSIWYG, but for a newbie is the easiest way to do some things.

Could be the easiest, but they wouldn't know what they are doing. I have the same opinion, WYSIWYG is Crap.

A good php editor. When I'm working on Windows I like

- Notepad++ (with the php extension):

(http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm)

It have some good stuff, syntax highlighting, functions autocompletion. Really really lightweight and great for searching strings.

- Dreamweaver (Just the Code section - never use the design section hehe)

You have to pay or illegally download it

- Eclipse (With the php extension)

This one is really cool. Although I had to modify some of the predefined text completions rules cuz they were driving me crazy.

Eclipse have user defined functions, classes and variable autocompletion (which is reaaally cool), and regular functions autocompeltion. Also is compatible with estandar documentation. If you document your functions, when it is autocompleting that function, you will be able to see what it does, what parameters the function receive and what it returns. You can also use CVS with your php projects. Is a very complete tool.

The only contra part is that is a heavy loading program, built on java. But is worth it. And is free.

(http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/)

Hey Daniel,

Depends what kinda newbie you are. I am a newbie to php but I have worked with html for a while so I find gedit easiest or notepad if I am in windows. What would be useful is for something that will let me open my files in firefox or internet explorer is i have to as atm it just gives me a download box.

Notepad sucks as well. It can only open files with CRLF style line breaks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.