Setup a Web Server

Dysan

Assuming your using windows a great starting point for you would be to take a look at xampp

Many people know from their own experience that it's not easy to install an Apache web server and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start.

Not sure on the rules of linking to external sites on these forums and since I'm new here I don't want to be seen to be spamming so I won't link you to it just google "xampp" and you'll be on your way.

Assuming your using windows a great starting point for you would be to take a look at xampp

Many people know from their own experience that it's not easy to install an Apache web server and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start.

Not sure on the rules of linking to external sites on these forums and since I'm new here I don't want to be seen to be spamming so I won't link you to it just google "xampp" and you'll be on your way.

Actually, installing the lamp stack on debian is as easy as....

apt-get install php5

And looking through the recomendations

Hosting service!

By the question you are asking here, I would say you don't have a clue what are talking about. If you don't which software to use to run a server, how the hell are you going to protect the data from the sites you're going to host?

Think it through!

Cheers for your reply.

Good Point!

But, I know how to set a web server up, I just don't understand the other requirements. e.g. IP Addresses Server Spec etc.

In terms of the spec of machine, this isn't the side I have much knowledge on, therefore I'm asking here! :)

It really depends how many sites your planning on hosting, but like I said, you'll probably run out of bandwidth before processing power running from home.

I have an old 700Mhz machine with 512mg of memory that easily handled running 5 sites when I had an adsl connection (I'm on dialup now but we won't go into that). of course my sites where just personal and got little traffic. After all, I only had 256mbps upload speed.

You really need to know alot more than simply how to setup Apache too to run a webserver. You'll definatley need to know iptables (firewall), Postfix or one of the other big mail servers, and probably a good dose of bind (DNS).

If you (like me) just want to get into it to learn and maybe host a few sites, do it, it is a great learning curve. If however you want to run a serious bussiness, I suggest you learn all this first then get a few dedicated servers or at least place your server within a reliable cohost.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.