Heavily accessed large tables

jaymc

What is the best way to deal with heavily acessed large tables

When I say large, lets just say you had a table with 5 million rows of data, all of which contain pretty well optimized data

With an index yeh sure it only takes 0.8 second to complete a standard query, but this added with other queries combine to make a page take 3+ seconds to load

What can one do when faced with a huge table which has relivent data and no redundant to clean out

Bit stuck, any ideas/articles which go through combating this problem

Ok, the table is 6.7million rows and the query is pretty basic

SELECT viewedpro.viewer, viewedpro.time, viewedpro.views, cache.propic as image
        FROM viewedpro
        LEFT JOIN cache ON viewedpro.viewer = cache.username
        WHERE viewedpro.username = 'JMC'
        GROUP BY viewedpro.viewer
        ORDER BY viewedpro.time DESC LIMIT 0,5

The execution time is completely dependant on the sheer size of the table rather than the query

0.8 seconds is quick for what its doing, but webpages should never really have a noticeable lag therefor I want to try and do something about it

A few things...

First, could you post the EXPLAIN output?  Mixing group by/order by will sometimes produce unexpected index usage.

Second, why the LEFT JOIN? You're not doing anything with non-matching records... this can often be slower.

I added the viewer index after I posted the explain, but in the query I gave you an index on the viewer would have had no purpose as it wasnt involved in the Word or any file sorting

Regardless, queries still take 0.5 seconds.. combined with other large table queries meaning 3+ seconds for page execution

I have to do something with the table.. sooner or later, without flusing out date, just wondering on the common methods to go about this

I added the viewer index after I posted the explain, but in the query I gave you an index on the viewer would have had no purpose as it wasnt involved in the Word or any file sorting

Could you post your SHOW CREATE TABLE? I think we're talking about different things.

Ok I had a look into that covering index, I know how to create one, but just wondering the down sides on having it

What does it actually do, and is it only good for certain queries vrs bad for different types of queries

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.