VOIP... can it be done?

Dorac

Hi all, im a newbie at php and this site, but am very keen on it :-)

i live in south africa and over here the ISP charge a hefty amount for international bandwidth, therefore i make use of local bandwidth with very limited browsing international websites. (even skype battles to stay connected) so i'd like to create just a very very basic website (1 page) just for me and a friend to be connected in a chat room with voip as well. can this be done using php?

QUESTION

1 webpage, includes a chat room (or shoutbox) and can allow voip using php and html. is it possible??

If not please could you suggest a solution for me?

I don't think it'll make a difference on the bandwidth usage whether it's a stand alone program or a web based solution.  It still has to send the same amount of data... unless it's horrible quality.  I used to set up a teamspeak server back in the days of 56k to speak to a friend on, worked fine :D

yeah trying out the Teamspeak soon... downloading the client and server. ive heard it works best :).

The bandwidth is not the problem, the problem is that i only have normal bandwidth (downloads, streaming, voip, etc) here is south africa. So cant do much like use msn messenger to chat to a friend or somethin like that. So ultimately id need a server and client situation like teamspeak. :) thanks. but im still curious as to whether voip can be used over a php/html web page? would sockets be needed etc or what would be needed to stream voip between two connections?

Thanks for the speedy reply and help ;-)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.