SQL Integrity Contraints

mattclements

Hey,

I am looking at modifying my SQL Script to include an Integrity Contraint for my A-Level Project. One table includes a Behaviour Code as the Primary Key. I want this to be displayed as LL00 (2 Composery letters, followed by 2 composery numbers). I think it should be something like:

ALTER TABLE behaviour_code
  Then some Integrity Constraint

Cheers in advance.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

CHECK is not a valid part of MySQL (yet, maybe v6.0)

Thus your problem might be resolved by using triggers instead. However you're going to have to split up your column and parse it (in the trigger) and reject the INSERT/UPDATE based on that.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/triggers.html

The above url should get your started with triggers. And you might consider using a REGEX http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/regexp.html to check if the value is in the format you are expecting.

Hey,

Yer with some more research I found out the same.... This isn't going to have to be a "production" database as it's just for an assignment. Ive got an extention to finish this off....

Anyway... So far im thinking:

ALTER TABLE students
CONSTRAINT form
CHECK (form LIKE 10LLa);

Basically I only want users to be able to enter 1 Optional Number, then 1 Compulsary Numbers, then 2 Compulsary Letters, followed by 1 Optional Letter... Such as:

13JC

or 14JCa

or 9JC

or 9JCa

Also is there any way of just limiting the number values to be between 9-14?

Thanks,

Matthew

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.