HEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPP

ToonMariner

I need help help help.

I am now having major porblems with IE6 and it has to work OK in IE6 for the clients...

The site I am working is here: http://anr.wesayhowhigh.com

I have multiple IE's on my machine (from tredosoft0 so I can test in older IE versions) problem is when I hit any link in teh top nav IE crashes.  My buddy has ie 6 which doesn't crash BUT when he views the site he gets the png backgrounds instead of teh gifs I did especially for ie6.

I am at a loss to explain either so I could really do with some pointers...

Thanks in advance - I REALLY appreciate any comments what so ever (apart from nasty ones that is - they make me sad!!!)

I see the gifs, there just seems to be something wrong with the positioning because the green section of the "live" tab is poking out above the rest of the list. There is also no "live" state on the home, aboutus, projects, or contactus links.

Why do you need the png/gif alternatives if you aren't using the alpha channel in the pngs? Don't have the time to wade around in your code but there doesn't appear to be a need for any IE6-specific trickery for the type of menu you are using.

I'd also recommend:

- Don't use the * reset because it is heavy going for the user agent. Use a reset that targets specific elements. Replace * {margin:0; border:0;} with Eric Meyer's CSS reset (or a suitable adaptation of it).

- Don't use xhtml 1.1 served as text/html. There is no reason to do so. The W3C specifically say that xhtml 1.1 should not be served as text/html...even the people who promote the use of xhtml 1.0 won't use xhtml 1.1 for text/html sites. At worst, use xhtml 1.0 strict, but unless you need the xhtml doctype (for a CMS or javascript) try to use the html 4.01 strict doctype.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.