Getting a remote file

blackcat1313

I would like to get a remote file using HTTP and put its contents in a local page.  The function readfile() would do this very nicely, except you have to have allow_url_fopen set On.  My understanding is that this creates a security hole and many hosts have it disabled.  There are other functions too, like file_get_contents(), but they are all going to need allow_url_fopen in order to work.

Is this really a security problem?

If so, how can I get the file?

Thanks!

Bill Osberg 

Thanks Scott, I will investigate using cURL.  First thing is to see if my web host has it installed.

Hi Rohan, doing it this way is going to need allow_url_fopen set on.  As would include, fopen, and any of the other file manipulation functions.

I think I may be able to get it using FTP, copy it locally, then use include to read it in.  So I've got a couple of things to try.  Thanks.

Bill

Hi cooldude, thanks but the PHP manual says that file_get_contents needs allow_url_fopen set On to use a URL as the file name.  That's what I'm trying to avoid...

"You can use a URL as a filename with this function if the fopen wrappers have been enabled. See fopen() for more details on how to specify the filename and List of Supported Protocols/Wrappers for a list of supported URL protocols."

Most if not all hosts have to have them enabled in order to allow users to work with their own files.

So,

file_get_contents(http://www.phpfreaks.com/index.php);

should just show the page the same as any user sees it on the server.

You may need to think of hotlinking though, most sites disable that themselves.

I do not really know of any of the hosts I have used in the past to have disabled $FILES operations, users however can restrict it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.