MS Word, MS Office, PDF Conversion Issues..

monkeytooth

Ok, this ones not for me per say... But I have a friend, die hard wordpress user, but for a lack of better words not so savy on a tech end of things, so he can't go in and edit code to well himself. His problem is taking word/office files using the upload option on wordpress to upload the files he has, to then publish on the site. The issue is 80% of the time the conversion from doc to web is to say the least far from accurate. Things get lost in translation and the end result looks almost like but not nearly enough like the actual file that he started out with. What I have noticed is alot of the doc file encoding is left behind, and when I strip that out everything usually looks as nice as intended. So I guess my biggest question is.. Is it possible to strip a doc clean to notepad like form, then while doing so convert it to something thats more browser based, through the use of PHP.

If this is possible, how in depth of a project would something like this be? Cause I want to help the guy out make him something that he can just upload the files hes uploading through that spits out actual HTML without the extra crap left behind, where the end result is pretty damn close to the actual file when its opened in word or office.

I know one way or another its not as simple as a few lines of code, and I'm not looking for anyone to program one out for me if it is possible to begin with. But a little help on where I could start would be great. More so cause I'm not extremely familiar with all that is the backend of a word/office file.

I dunno, hopefully this makes sence to all of you who read it. I know I can babble and make little sense sometimes. But any and all help means a lot. Tutorials, Informational links to such topics etc.. or to save me time if anyone knows of something similar to this that I can work with or build off of or what ever the case let me know. Cause I'm just tryin to do this as a favor to a guy who has enough stress tryin to run this thing let alone do anything else. Again thanks in advance.

first problem will be which version of Word? my understanding is that the latest version uses modified XML which would make things a lot easier. assuming we're just working on any old Word doc: i would save the document as a web page (HTML), then strip and/or substitute tags on the upload.

Well the biggest problem lies in that.. My friend here is running an ezine style site through wordpress.. He would be defined as the editor of the ezine, and under him there is something like maybe 20-50 writers on any given month sending in stories for the zine. They all have there own software and generally they send in office or word documents. Trying to get a collective of these files in a specific format is difficult as its all a bunch of high school and college students doing volunteer work for the site, in essence aspiring writers looking for experience. I figured this project would be a slightly indepth one, I'm like I said prior just trying to figure how deep the hole can possibly get, and then from that seek help with it be it a full on discussion of work i do through here seeking help based on that, or be it working with tutorials, informational sites on this type of subject and or working with something premade. like I said I see my friend constantly stressing to the point of loosing his mind so I just wanna give him something for being a good friend to me when I needed it, something that can help him out and well I cant think of anything more perfect then this concept lol...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.