Things to do before moving servers

scferg

I haven't been able to upload anything via FTP to my site. I asked my host why it is, and they said it was because my server was full. So they said they are going to move me to a another server. They said I need to backup everything (duh), which I have. I downloaded my whole site (which took about 5 hours - 6,213 files, 314 folders). I've also backed up my forum and news system. I've never moved my site, so what else do I need to do -- if anything? They are moving my site, but I've backed everything up just to be safe. I'm also wondering if I need to backup my databases...if I do, please let me know how, I've never done it before. I use phpmyadmin, so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks  ;)

I haven't been able to upload anything via FTP to my site. I asked my host why it is, and they said it was because my server was full. So they said they are going to move me to a another server. They said I need to backup everything (duh), which I have. I downloaded my whole site (which took about 5 hours - 6,213 files, 314 folders). I've also backed up my forum and news system. I've never moved my site, so what else do I need to do -- if anything? They are moving my site, but I've backed everything up just to be safe. I'm also wondering if I need to backup my databases...if I do, please let me know how, I've never done it before. I use phpmyadmin, so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks  ;)

Yes, definitely back up your databases too. It's very straightforward with phpMyAdmin. When you log in, one of the options on the main screen is export. If you click that, you can save a copy of all your databases. If you select all of the databaes you can do it all in one go. And dont forget to check the 'save to file' option down the bottom.

Here are my options:

(radio buttons)

- Structure only

- Structure and data

- Data only

- Export to XML format

- LaTeX   

(check boxes)

- Add 'drop table'

- Complete inserts

- Extended inserts

- Enclose table and field names with backquotes

- Save as file ( "zipped"  "gzipped" )

What should I do?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.