frameworks 101

s0c0

I've been developing OOP in PHP for about 6 months now, prior to that it was all procedural.  I've been wondering what the advantages to using frameworks like cake and symphony are?  Yes I know I could just try them out, but I want some feedback first.

Specifically do these frameworks decrease development time without impacting performance?  Am I better of using my own MVC type framework?  Just wondering, and for those who have used multiple frameworks which have you found to be best and why?  Thanks.

The idea of a framework is that you will have a basic structure or skeleton to base your code of. In that way you won't have to create all the underlying functionality (e.g. database connections) each time you start a new project. This obviously decreases the development time when you become proficient in using that particular framework.

I'm at the same spot.  I'm looking into frameworks and learning how they work, but haven't really gotten to much into the OOP or MVC and I'm trying to figure out why its so popular.  Of course my scope is pretty small and I've been digging trying to figure out more.  One good piece of advice I found though was that creating your own Framework will  make you a better programmer.  Using some one else's will save time.

I think I understand the concepts behind MVC, but I'm having trouble understanding the code keep getting lost in the variables.  If anyone has a good article I could read or book please let me know.

I think another important thing to note on this topic, is that it promotes standardization. When you're talking about building applications for companies/enterprises they like the fact that you're building applications on a widely known, used, and tested framework. It helps makes applications easier to resell in business acquisitions, it makes the programmer disposable in a lot of ways (unfortunate for us) because we can be replaced with someone else who is also familiar with the framework at hand.

It's really a pro and a con at the same time. On the one hand it forces you to adhere to a set of practices that are well known, on the other it takes away some of the value of an individual programmer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.