mysql replace values in database

dannyd

I want to insert data into the database.

I have 3 values ($airtime, $length, $showid)

example of data to be inserted would be ->  (08-02-16 06:00, 20 , FFF-3300)

I'm pulling data from a file to insert into a database. However whenever the script runs I want to overwrite the data with the newest data in case a file was changed. How do i replace data in the database  with the newest data ?

If I use the replace clause then how would it work with a table that has no primary key ?

This is an example of data from the table

airtime                      length      creative

--------------------------------------------

08-02-20 06:00:00      200          SPO-3053

08-02-20 06:02:00        15          SPO-0134

08-02-20 06:02:15        15          SPO-2724

08-02-20 06:02:30    2829          LOC-2939

08-02-20 06:31:00      9            SPO-0135

08-02-20 06:31:09      20            SPO-0135

I guess time would be unique to the table row. Not sure how to use it though. Every time it overwrites it need needs to overwrite data specific to the date.

How would I specify in a replace, to replace data according to the airtime field ?

Would this be correct syntax or would it work :

$sql ="REPLACE INTO asrunlogs (airtime,length,creative) values ('$datetime', '$length','$creative') WHERE airtime='$date'";

But REPLACE changes the UID, and issues an implicit DELETE... not good.

Yes is does a delete and insert. If you're using an auto_increment column as the primary key it will give a new unique value if the existing key value isn't specified, otherwise it will be similar to an update. I didn't want to assume it was an auto_increment column.

dannyd, MySQL requires a primary key. It doesn't  have to be an auto_increment, and a date/time could work provided that it will be unique. However, a date/time column is not usually used as a primary key (maybe as a secondary index with duplicates allowed).

You should think about what field would be unique for the info you're trying to save, and use that as the primary key.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.