Rewrite AND Redirect same page

Bricktop

Hello all,

I'm quite new to mod_rewrite but have managed to rewrite my entire personal website.

However, I wonder if someone could tell me how to rewrite AND redirect the same page.

For example, I am rewriting /contact/ and /portfolio/ so they point to the contact.php and portfolio.php files. To do this, I have added the following lines to my .htaccess file:

RewriteRule ^contact/ /contact.php [L]

RewriteRule ^portfolio/ /portfolio.php [L]

However, some Google links and old site back-links still point to the .php links, not the new rewritten examples. I want to force any requests to the old .php files to redirect to the new rewritten links. So, if someone clicks a link to www.domain.com/contact.php they get redirected to www.domain.com/contatc/, but when I changed the .htaccess to:

RewriteRule ^contact.php$ /contact [L]

RewriteRule ^contact/ /contact.php [L]

RewriteRule ^portfolio.php$ /portfolio [L]

RewriteRule ^portfolio/ /portfolio.php [L]

When requesting either contact.php, portfolio.php, /portfolio/ or /contact/ the server would crash because I have effectively created a loop.

Hopefully you can understand my request and let me know how I achieve my desired result.

Thanks

Keep in mind that doing this with mod_rewrite really defeats the purpose, since they will still see the .php address in their browser. Mod_rewrite does everything at the server, so it is not a redirect. It literally serves the page instructed up as the path the user requests. There are additional modifiers that you can attach to a mod_rewrite to help it not to loop, but I would recommend tackling the issue by simply instructing search engines of the new structure. You can register a site-map with Google and be sure none of your current links reference the .php pages directly. This way, when you are re-indexed by the crawlers, your information will be updated.

It's not necessarily a problem that Google still sees those pages. The reason for mod_rewrite is typically to screen query string parameters since crawlers ignore them anyway. So, basically, on a news site, the link view.php?cat=sports&id=15 would be indexed simply as view.php. However, with a mod_rewrite, the URL looks like view/sports/15 instead, and the entire path is indexed. In your case, it really won't make much difference either way.

Hope this helps some.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.