Backup of data files

Teamwolf2000

Hi,

I am running 5.051 and would like to backup my data files and ftp to another remote server.

This is just as a backup for a complete system fail.

I have written the script and it all works well, it is shedualed to run overnight.

I just wanted to check that if I do back up these data files, in the event of a major systems crash I will be able to restore them onto my new box.

Currently I copy the entire contents of D:\MySQL\data which is the location of my database files.

Could someone let me know if these can be resored if ever i need to.

Thanks very much,

TW2

Also, from Diamond notes today:

You can copy the three files  (table_name.frm, table_name.MYI, and table_name.MYD) that form a MyISAM table from one server to another and just add them to the appropriate database directory and they will “appear” in the new database.  However, with Innodb this is not possible.  To copy Innodb databases you either need to dump the database/tables involved and re-import or copy the entire dataset and tablespace files from one server to another.

One caveat about the MyISAM table copy, you should lock the table while copying it to keep the copy from being corrupt due to changes to the file during the copy operation.  Also, check and make sure your owner/permissions are the same after the copy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.