Need Help With Very Simple Include Function!

citrn

Hi there!

I am a novice when it comes to PHP, hence the reason why I'm having trouble with such a simple aspect of it.

I am creating a new website for my company and I am using an index.php file for the main structure of the site as well as the header and navigation. I want to use PHP to include seperate files that will appear in the main content area of the page.

This is what I have placed where I want the content to go:

<?php include("$id.html"); ?>

With the above code, I should be able to navigate to a specific page by using a URL such as http://www.domain.com/index.php?id=page

I also need to have a specific page (welcome, news, etc.) load automatically when accessing index.php, so I have placed the following code above my HEAD tag:

<?
if ( $id=='' ) {
$id="main";
$l="?";
}
else {
$id="$id";
}
?>

The above code does work in the sense that when I access index.php, main.html appears in the main content area.

However, the problem I am facing now is that any other file I try to include, results in main.html appearing instead of any other page.

For example, if I want index.php to include news.html, I should use the URL http://www.domain.com/index.php?id=news , but main.html keeps coming up. No errors or warnings are being displayed.

I am sure I have made an error somewhere in the second code, but I cannot solve this problem.

Your kind assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Robert

<?php

if (isset($_GET['id'])) {
  $id = $_GET['id'];
  if (file_exists("$id.html")) {
    $page = "$id.html";
  } else {
    $page = "main.html";
  }
} else {
  $page = "main.html";
}

?>

Then simply use....

<?php include $page; ?>

where you want the content to appear.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.